GottaCon is dedicated to providing a harassment-free (including bullying-free) convention experience for everyone regardless of sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment or bullying of convention participants (including attendees, press, exhibitors, volunteers, staff, etc.) in any form. Demeaning or harassing sexual language is not appropriate for any convention venue, including talks. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the convention, without a refund, at the discretion of the convention organizers. Exhibitors are also subject to the anti-harassment policy.
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments, (related to sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, etc.), deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact and unwelcome sexual attention. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the convention organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expelling them from the convention without a refund. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of convention staff immediately. Convention staff can be identified by their volunteer vests or mangers shirts.
Convention staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the convention. Inappropriate physical contact will be reported to local law enforcement. We value your attendance.Costume and Weapons Policies
Decency and Appropriateness:
1. Attendee attire must cover all areas normally covered by a swimsuit. Costumes and props must also be PG-rated. Hate speech is not permitted on attire or props in any language.
2. Costume Safety: Costumes must not be dangerous to anyone who bumps into them accidentally.
3. Volume: Costumes and props that make noise must have volume controls and should be kept at an appropriate volume. The owners of such props and costumes must turn down or mute the volume when asked to by Security.
Futuristic, non-existent weapons and boffer weapons are the only types of weapons permitted in the convention space. The exception to this rule is for persons participating in the costume contest. 20th and 21st century military uniforms are not permitted. The exception to this rule is for active duty military. Military personnel are prohibited from carrying firearms, regardless of whether they are licensed.Functional Weapons
1. GottaCon attendees may not carry or possess any working weapon at any time during the convention.
2. The definition of working weapon includes, but is not limited to firearms and ammunition of any and all kinds (BB guns, cap guns, air-soft weapons, paintball guns, tazers, explosives, firecrackers, fireworks), knives, swords, katanas, bokken, or other martial arts style swords, daggers, sword canes, switchblades, axes, hatchets, clubs, silly string, martial arts weapons, brass knuckles, chains, pepper spray, mace, and any other projectile item, toy or real.
3. Firearms that have the firing pin removed or are otherwise modified to be made non-functional are still considered “real weapons” and are not permitted.
1. Bows are allowed only if the arrows have blunt tips.
2. Swords must be sheathed and peace bonded to be allowed into the convention.
3. Props constructed using metal, hardwood, fiberglass, glass or hard plastics must be approved by Evan Hatch.
4. Cardboard, foam, balsa or other light, craft type wood, light and/or soft plastic or any other material that collapses under forceful pressure are acceptable.
5. Sharp edges are not permitted on any material.
1. Prop firearms are allowed only if such accessories cannot be mistaken for real weapons.
2. The barrel crown of all replica firearms must be painted a bright color (yellow, orange, etc.) or have a similarly coloured plastic cap attached to the crown of the barrel.
3. Any replica guns not meeting criteria will not be allowed and must be returned to a hotel room, car or convention centre security booth.
Local Area Network (LAN) Policy and Behavior
GottaCon 2014 LAN waiver – required to participate in the GottaCon BYOC LAN. Anyone under the age of 18 MUST have a legal guardian complete this form before they can participate.
While it’s expected that you’re here to have fun, there are some boundaries and ground rules that everyone needs to abide by:
- Respect other people and their equipment – There is a 0% tolerance for violence, vandalism, or theft. Trash talk is acceptable in context, but if you’re asked to stop, please do so.
- Be on time for tournaments – YOU are responsible to know where you need to be if you want to participate in a tournament. If you don’t know, listen for announcements, check warhorn, or speak to a volunteer. We will not hold up the match just for you.
- Don’t argue with the volunteers – We get it, sometimes you don’t agree with what someone is telling you. If you find that you are being treated unfairly, ask the volunteer with whom you are speaking to speak with their supervisor, but be aware that tournaments will not be put on hold for disputes.
- Towers on the floor – All computer towers must remain on the floor to avoid them falling from a height. So too, YOU should also not be on the tables.
- The Common Sense Clause – Please use your common sense. If you think something may be a poor choice, it probably is. Running in the LAN area? Sitting on tables? A water balloon fight? All pretty terrible ideas.
- Eat and drink enough – Stay fed, stay hydrated.
- ACTS OF VIOLENCE – Acts of violence will NOT be tolerated! Intentional damage to the property, other guest’s computers, staff property, network equipment, and items belonging to sponsors, is grounds for immediate removal from the event without refund. The GottaCon 2014 staff reserve the sole right to define what is and what is not a violent act. No weapons of any kind are allowed at GottaCon 2014, this includes play toy weapons, paintball markers, Airsoft guns etc.
- CHEATING – GottaCon 2014 has a zero tolerance for cheating! If you are caught using any of the following cheats but not limited to: cheat codes, exploits, debug version game kernels or libraries, excessive ping of network devices or computers to slow network bandwidth. If you are caught cheating during any tournament match, it will result in the forfeiture of the game, and disqualification from all remaining tournaments/games and removal from the site.
- ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES – GottaCon 2014 does not, under any circumstances condone any type of illegal activity whatsoever, including but not limited to the copying of illegal software, MP3’s or distribution of pornographic material to minors. GottaCon 2014 Staff / Admins do not condone pirating; however we cannot and will not police machines and network traffic trying to find such items. Each individual is solely responsible for the software / files and the copyright laws associated with items that are located on their machine. In addition GottaCon 2014 has a firm policy against viewing of pornographic material at our events. Please be aware that making pornographic material viewable and or accessible to minors is illegal. If a staff member view’s pornography displayed on your computer at any time, you will be removed from GottaCon LAN without refund.
- Personal Property – Participants understands that his/her machines(s) are his/her personal responsibility and liability and agrees to indemnify, defend and hold harmless GottaCon 2014 /Staff /Hosts/ Sponsors and each Sponsor’s directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives from any claims arising out of, in whole or in part, the participant’s use in any way of his/her computers, monitor, or other computer related equipment during any GottaCon 2014.
- Hacking – We do not tolerate hacking of any kind under any circumstance. Hacking of computers, network devices, DoS attacks, viruses, backdoors or anything of the sort is grounds for immediate dismissal from the GottaCon 2014 without refund and can lead to banning said player from all future events.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY – Sponsors and/or GottaCon 2014 Administrators are not responsible for any inaccurate information, whether caused by the Official Web Site or by the Web Site users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the event or the Tournament or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of Tournament results. GottaCon 2014 Administrators/Sponsors assume NO liability for any injury, loss, or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with any person’s participation in the Event or Tournament, including without limitation, participation in any real life activity, or injury, loss or damage sustained from use of any prize won. If for any reason the Event or the Tournament is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus’, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the GottaCon 2014 Administrator’s/Sponsors which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Event or the Tournament, GottaCon 2014 Administrator’s/Sponsors reserve the right at their sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Event and the Tournament without refund. By participating in the Tournament, each Participant agrees to be bound by the Official Rules. GOTTACON 2014 ADMINISTRATORS/SPONSORS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES WHETHER OR NOT SUCH DAMAGES COULD HAVE BEEN FORESEEN AND WHETHER OR NOT SPONSORS OR ANY SPONSOR OR ADMINISTRATOR RECEIVED NOTICE THEREOF.
GottaCon is dedicated to a fun and cooperative role playing game experience for everyone. We discourage players acting problematically and disrupting the role playing game events they are participating in. Players acting against the other event participants (including the Event Coordinator) to disrupt or otherwise significantly diminish the experience may be asked to modify their behaviour. Failure to comply may result in the problematic player being expelled from the event at the discretion of the Role Playing Games Area Manager.
Disruptive behaviour includes (but is not limited to) offensive verbal comments, continuously talking over the EC and/or other players, arguing with the EC and/or other players, and not respecting other participants’ personal space and/or materials. Players asked by the Event Coordinator to stop any disruptive behaviour are expected to comply immediately.
If a player continues to engage in disruptive behaviour, the Role Playing Games Area Manager may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the event. If you feel a player is being disruptive, notice they are severely diminishing the experience of someone else, or have any other concerns regarding problematic players, please let the Event Coordinator know immediately.
The Role-Playing Games Area Manager, Assistant Manager, and Event Coordinators will all strive to provide a fun and cooperative role playing game experience for everyone at GottaCon. We value your attendance.